SANTIAGO, Oct 13 (NNN-MERCOPRESS) — The Chilean government is keeping close tabs on a large fleet of Chinese fishing vessels that has stirred up controversy further north along the Pacific coast of South America, Foreign Minister Andres Allamand said.
Allamand said Chile´s Defense Ministry and Navy were monitoring the advance of the fleet in order to protect the “sovereignty” of the country´s exclusive economic zone.
The fleet consists of some 300 ships that frequent the Pacific Ocean, often around Peruvian waters, Allamand said.
SANTIAGO, Oct 5 (NNN-TELESUR) — Chilean Attorney General’s Office ordered the arrest of a carabinero (Chilean police) who threw a 16-year-old boy into the Mapocho River from the PIo Nono Bridge, in Santiago, when military police were repressing a demonstration.
“The officer will face trial for the crime of attempted murder,” the North Central Prosecutor’s Office stated as it recalled that the young man attacked fell to an approximate height of seven meters.
SANTIAGO, Oct 3 (NNN-MERCOPRESS) — The Chilean government has begun to gradually lift restrictions in the country in an attempt to reactivate the economy, given a drop in new cases with 1,556 (the lowest rate in three months), though areas with a high level of new cases remain under quarantine.
According to the latest study published by the Catholic University of Chile, in one year 1.8 million jobs have been lost (between the civil unrest and the pandemic), and the unemployment has reached an historical rate of 12% from March to date.
10 July 2020; MEMO: The Chilean Senate last week approved a resolution calling on President Sebastian Pinera Echenique to adopt a law boycotting settlement goods and banning commercial activity with companies that operate in the occupied Palestinian territories.
The motion passed on 30 June with 29 votes in favour and six abstentions, no votes were cast against the move.
SANTIAGO, June 14 (NNN-PRENSA LATINA) – Chilean President, Sebastian Pinera, accepted on Saturday, the resignation of Health Minister, Jaime Manalich, amid criticism from civil organisations and opposition figures, for his management of the coronavirus pandemic in the country.
The president said, “Dr. Jaime Manalich gave all his effort and put off all his legitimate personal interests to concentrate all his time and energy to give the best of himself in the difficult and noble task of protecting our lives and our health.”
SANTIAGO, June 12 (NNN-AGENCIES) — Chile on Thursday exceeded 154,000 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus and 2,600 deaths, one hundred days after the outbreak began and with the health service straining under massive admissions numbers.
“It has been a very hard 100 days,” health minister Jaime Manalich told reporters in the capital Santiago. “June is going to be the toughest month in the fight against the disease.”
Health authorities reported 154,092 cases and 2,648 deaths so far.
SANTIAGO, May 22 (NNN-AGENCIES) — The economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic has left an extra 11.5 million people unemployed in Latin America, the United Nations and the International Labour Organization said.
The new estimate from the UN’s Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) and the ILO would mean a total of 37.7 million people in the region are now unemployed.
SANTIAGO, May 19 (NNN-AGENCIES) — Police and protesters clashed in Santiago amid a city-wide lockdown meant to stem the spread of the coronavirus as local officials warned that food shortages had hit one of the Chilean capital’s poorest neighborhoods.
A group of protesters threw rocks, shouted and burned piles of wood along a street in the destitute neighborhood on Santiago’s southern fringe. Images on social media and local television showed police spraying tear gas and water cannons to disperse the growing crowd.
SANTIAGO, May 19 (NNN-AGENCIES) — Around half of Chile’s 50-member senate and four ministers have been placed in quarantine after coming into contact with at least three colleagues infected with the novel coronavirus, officials said.
Finance Minister Ignacio Briones and Chief of Staff Felipe Ward both wrote on Twitter that they had tested negative for the virus but were in quarantine until a second test is conducted.